A rapid glance throughout a map the America reveals a most names that room the very same as in Europe – and also the same as every other.
You are watching: Which u.s. city was named for a british prime minister
There room at the very least 23 places called Paris, at least 35 named Lebanon, and also at least 11 recognized as Dublin. In 2011, a biker indigenous Manchester, England, set out to visit every 32 American Manchesters, spanning Manchester-by-the-Sea in Massachusetts to a tiny city on the California coast.
Even some of America’s largest, most influential cities have surprising, and surprisingly humble europe origins. Below are 10 united state cities you never ever knew acquired their names native Ireland and the UK…
1. Baltimore: an anglicisation the the Irish expression Baile an Tí Mhóir (literally "town of the huge house"), this Maryland megacity was called for Cecilius Calvert, second Baron Baltimore, a peer in the Irish house of Lords. There is still a town called Baltimore top top the Co Cork coast, guarded by a stone monolith called the Baltimore Beacon.
2. Pittsburgh: ‘Pitt’ come coulondonchinatown.orgsy that Scottish basic John Forbes, who called the city for British prime Minister william Pitt in 1758. ‘Burgh’ is a Scottish, Old English, and also originally german word because that a defensible mound or hill, that appears in place names throughout Europe and North America.
3. Portland: The largest city in Oregon, and also 25th largest in the US, Portland is actually 2 generations away from its English ancestor. The metropolis is called for the city that Portland in Maine, which is itself derived from the Portland peninsula that juts the end from the English ar of Dorset.
4. Menlo Park: finest known because that ‘the wizard of Menlo Park’ thomas Edison, this ar in brand-new Jersey was named after a city in California, which consequently took its name from the town of Menlo ~ above the suburbs of Galway.
5. Boston: The biggest city in brand-new England, Boston enjoys an unusually direct link to its europe namesake, started by Puritan settlers from the Lincolnshire sector town the the exact same name.
6. Charlotte: called for George III’s consort Queen Charlotte, America’s 15th most populous city is one of several polities called after English queens. The whole state the Maryland is called after Charles I’s mam Henrietta Maria, if Virginia and also West Virginia were named for Elizabeth I, then as currently nicknamed The Virgin Queen.
7. Charleston: The biggest city in south Carolina, that shouldn’t it is in a surprise that Charleston is called after the English king Charles I. The Latin identical of Charles is carolus, and North and South Carolina are named for the too.
8. New York: It’s apparent when you think about it, yet not anyone does. After ~ a brief stint together the Dutch swarm of brand-new Amsterdam, brand-new York to be renamed by the brothers in 1664 after ~ the city that York, then as now a county resources in Yorkshire.
9. Newark: very first named Pesayak Towne, and also later brand-new Milford, Newark was eventually dubbed after local reverend Abraham Pierson's former eastern England parish that Newark-on-Trent. The chair of Essex County, in channel island-inspired new Jersey, Newark addresses have European names on three separate lines.
See more: Legend Of The Descent Of The God Of Magic Chapter 25 English
10. Richmond: The state funding of Virginia, Richmond was called by colonist wilhelm Byrd for the English town of Richmond-upon-Thames, now an well-off suburb of London.